Saturday, January 26, 2008

The hard task of choosing a major

I decided to head back to college after dropping out many years ago and I thought I knew what my major was going to be, photography of course! But I've changed so much since being 18 years old that I actually want to make a living now instead of doing something I love, unfortunately, and photography makes little to no money for most photographers. So I decided to go into Elementary Education; I wasn't too excited about it but I do enjoy teaching children and I love my little nieces and nephews so I figured that is good enough. My first quarter at Clark College was September 2007 and I just took pre-req's but the Winter quarter I took a class that I forgot I was interested in, which is ASL.

I took three years of ASL in high school and just had an absolute blast. I loved it so much and got great grades during those years in high school. But just as someone takes Spanish in high school and forgets it later in life, that is what happened to me. I never thought I'd go back to ASL for anything let alone it be my absolute goal in school to be an ASL interpreter but that is what I am doing. YAY!

It can make quite a bit of money as well as I am doing something I love! What a combination huh?! I am picking it back up VERY quickly too. I remember a lot from high school and have picked up a lot of new signs already and I just started the beginning of January!

I am also interested in the Deaf culture which makes it that much easier to know ASL interpreting should be my ultimate major. I don't see myself changing majors again. *whew* now I just need to get through school! :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good choice. I enjoyed learning sign language, too... but have since forgotten most of what I learned, since I didn't keep up with it.

Sigh....

Nevaeh said...

Hey Sarah! You need to put comments on your webpage so people can comment or just say hi!! :)