Saturday, December 22, 2007

Always an adventure in Portland

I decided to bypass all the hustle of Christmas by not going in any stores so instead of sitting on my butt in my house I decided to head down to Portland. I debated between myself going alone or inviting friends and ended up trying to invite friends who totally suck by the way! They either were busy...get this...shopping *scoff* or too scared of Portland to go. Sheesh, it's really not that scary people! Sometimes you even get a chuckle out of the folks who make Portland great. For instance today I was fortunate enough to see The Spinner again! A guy wearing the Scream outfit (not including the mask) and in place of the famous mask there was a hubcap spinning on the dude's face. HAHA! He would go up to people and ask them to spin the hubcap for him. It was terrific seeing him again, at least I think it was a he. I also was entertained on MAX by a "normal looking" man who was sitting very quietly then decided to pull out some sort of cotton substance and a needle and began to poke it randomly. I couldn't help by look at him and wondering why he was doing that and what else he was going to do. But he continued to poke the cotton as if no one else was around, every once in a while stabbing himself with the needle and not even a flinch when he did. I came to the conclusion it was some sort of therapy for drug addiction or something. Then my third and final story was just sweet I had to share it. There was this homeless man walking around with a gigantic wood box on a rolling cart. I didn't think anything of it until he walked by and parked the box right in front of me and opened it up and being the curious soul I am, I looked in the box. There were TONS of wrapped presents and various homeless people peeking inside grabbing a gift here and there. Their eyes were so bright and they had big smiles on their faces. I followed a couple of them to see what they got, and as they opened up the gift it was nothing more than a baggie full of band aids and floss, a half empty box of toiletry items such as fingernail clippers and nail files. I thought that was so sweet because those big ruff and tough guys were THRILLED at those silly items we all take for granted. Made me think differently for a moment. I have decided since I have nothing to do on Christmas day I have signed up to help feed those in need. I'm not sure how, but I'll find a way!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's really touching. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

You're cool!